Sycamore Class – Year 5/6
Welcome to Sycamore Class!
Our learning in Term 1…
This term we have a Geography focus and will be learning about the UK, focusing on its human geography. We will learn about the different regions, looking at why settlements have formed including an understanding of agriculture and the economy. In Science we will continue to explore Space, learning about the bodies that exist beyond Earth and how scientists’ understanding of the universe has developed over time.
Furthermore, in DT we will be learning to sew! We will look at different techniques before designing and making our own Christmas inspired cushions. In French we will be starting a unit on ‘Presenting Myself’ where we will learn to introduce ourselves and give information such as where you live. In Computing we will be building on our knowledge of coding and in Music we will be continuing to explore 20th and 21st Century Orchestral music.
Again this term, we have many exciting trips and visits to look forward to starting with a trip to London as well as a visit to Wells Cathedral.
- PE lessons will be on Wednesdays. Please send your child to school wearing their PE kit.
- Swimming lessons will be on Tuesdays with the final session on Tuesday 21st November. Children will need to bring in an extra bag with their swimming costume, swimming hat and goggles.
- Children need to have a spare pair of shoes or wellies in school every day for our Adventure Play and Paddock area.
- It is important that children always have a coat in school as we will be outside as much as possible in all weathers.
Weekly Home Learning Tasks
Your child’s reading record and scheme reading book needs to come into school every day.
Please ensure your child is:
- Reading every day and note this in their reading record
- Completing at least 10 minutes of times table practise every day (for updated details see below) – children will be asked to complete other Maths activities for homework when their times table recall is both fluent and accurate.
- Year 6 only: Completing their weekly home learning task, details of which can be found in their Home Learning Book.
Reading, Spellings and Times tables
Your child will have two reading books that they use at school. One will be a levelled scheme reading book that will go home and be brought into school every day. The other will be a book that they keep at school to read for pleasure. Your child will be assessed on their book level by the class teacher and teaching assistants at regular intervals throughout the term.
Spellings lists will be shared on this page (on the right hand side) at beginning of the term. We no longer complete Spelling tests on a Friday, instead we complete ongoing assessments. Sometimes this will take the form of a traditional spelling test, but this could also be in the form of a dictation exercise. These assessments can happen on any day, they are low stakes and often informal in nature. They will be based on previously learned spelling patterns and rules from that term, that year or even an earlier year group.
Children are encouraged to use Times Tables Rockstars as well as Doodle Maths to work on their times tables and number facts each week. It is vital that these basic number facts are practiced as much as possible!
Login information for any online resources has been stuck into the inside cover of your child’s reading record.
Mrs Miles, Mrs Winchester and Miss Middle
If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Howells on Class Dojo.