Beech Class – Year 3/4
Welcome to Beech Class! We are Year 3 and 4 children.
What an exciting year we have ahead of us! We will spend the first few weeks of school getting to know each other and learning what it is like to be in Beech class.
- PE lessons will be on Wednesdays. Please send your child to school wearing their PE kit.
- We will continue to ventilate our classrooms, so children may like to bring in additional school-appropriate layers.
- Please bring to school a spare pair of shoes or wellies for our Adventure Play and Paddock area.
- It is important that children always have a coat in school as we will be outside as much as possible in all weathers.
Weekly Homework Tasks
Your child’s reading record and scheme reading book needs to come into school every day.
Please ensure your child is:
- Reading for 20 minutes every day and note this in their reading record
- Completing at least 10 minutes of times table practise every day (for more details see below)
- Practising their spellings every day (find the weekly spellings on the right hand side of this page. Within the document there are some Spelling Challenge Activities your child may wish to complete.)
Reading, Spellings and Times tables
Your child will have two reading books that they use at school. One will be a levelled reading book that will go home and be brought into school every day. The other will be a book that they keep at school to read for pleasure. Your child will be assessed on their book level by the class teacher and teaching assistants at regular intervals throughout the term. We will listen to your child read individually or in a small group every week.
Spellings will be stuck into your child’s reading record on Mondays and our weekly Spelling test will happen every Friday morning. The test will sometimes take the form of a traditional spelling test, but could also be in the form of a dictation exercise.
Times table practise will be checked and monitored every Friday. Children will be tested on their times tables alongside their Maths lessons so will not have a regularly scheduled times table test. As we move away from using the Maths Club tests, we are encouraging children to use Times Table Rockstars for their daily practise – specifically the Garage and Gig modes. Within these modes the game assesses your child’s speed, accuracy and fluency, and adjusts their difficulty level accordingly. If a child has 100% accuracy but takes too long to answer the questions, they will not progress. Both elements are important when learning times tables. Your child’s login information has been stuck on the inside cover of their reading record.
Year 4 Residential Trip to Skern Lodge – Skern Letter (Year 4 2021)
Ms. Cornish – Mornings in Beech Leaves
Mrs Lake, Mrs Hillier (Mon-Wed), Mrs Appleyard (Thur & Fri) and occasionally Mr Smalley.
If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact Miss Mills or Ms. Cornish on Class Dojo.
This year we have read…
Mr Penguin and the Lost Treasure by Alex Smith